Translate

Monday 30 September 2013

Thanks Hairy Bikers but no thanks

As it is around the time of year when the fig lottery pays out (or in most cases does not) I thought I'd pick up on an idea from the Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmet I watched last week. I have a good Brown Turkey Fig tree in the garden but the vagaries of the British summer means that most years I have a tree full of unripe figs (though I do have a great recipe for bottling these). I happened to spot some figs at a good price and decided to try out something I had seen on TV last week.

As usual, I was not going to follow a recipe book. I had four good figs. Picked up some prosciutto ham and a nice wedge of Gorgonzola cheese.


 The ingredients
First I cut a cross in the top of each of the figs.

 Cross cut fig

 Next, I wrapped the base of each fig in prosciutto

 Figs in blankets ?

I then stood each fig up and squeezed the base to open the cross cut. I then filled the opened fig with Gorgonzola.

 Ready for the oven

I then put the figs on a baking tray into a preheated oven at 180C for 18 minutes. I then served two per plate with a touch of salad and a few sprigs of fresh thyme to garnish the figs.


Lunch plated up

The verdict 

 These were OK if a little salty. If I make them again I think a wedge of fresh lime to squeeze over the figs will help add the zing they were missing. If you have figs and the other ingredients at hand then they are a pleasant starter but not one worth rushing to the shops for. To my mint, the salad, the fresh, uncooked figs the prosciutto and some good Parmesan shavings make a far nicer lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment